The Princess and the Pope

And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
~Matthew 19:26

Friday, September 17, 2010

George N. Parks (1953-2010)


I lost a friend last night. No, the world lost a friend last night.

George was a special friend. We had many common bonds. He and I both had the same high school band director, 20 years apart. George was one of his first students, and I was one of his last. George and I were also tuba players in the marching band. George and I went to the same college, so I saw him once year at homecoming. George was the director and mentor of my college band director, Heidi Sarver. George and I both have adopted children. And, despite the age difference, there was always something that kept us linked. We emailed often and, earlier this year, George opened a Facebook account making it even easier for us to stay in touch.

I went to Ireland earlier this year with George and his band. It was the last time I got to spend time with him.

George impacted so many lives, not just mine. He was a maestro. His music was magic.

George and me at a party in January 2010


George, I love you and I'll miss you until we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment