My dear sweet girl with the long chestnut brown hair, beautiful almond shaped eyes, winning smile and fancy purple and pink hearing aids,
Discrimination will follow you wherever you go. No matter what you do, there will always be someone who will find you to be wrong for something, for whatever reason. They are going to reject you, even hate you. Your Uncle Brian's friend, Fr. James Martin, wrote this as an evening prayer. I hope it gives you comfort in difficult times such as these...
Dear God, there are some people in your world who really don't like me. Some who even hate me. I know I'm supposed to love my enemies and pray for those who persecute me, but it's hard. Maybe the hardest thing in the Christian life. How did your Son do it? I remember when he preached at the synagogue in Nazareth, and the townspeople rose up in fury at what he said, drove him to the outskirts of town, and tried to throw him off the cliff. But even though the temptation was there, Jesus never repaid evil for evil. Even when he was on the Cross, he forgave. I'll bet it was hard for him, like it's hard for me. He was divine, but he was human, too. Jesus must have had human emotions that were hard to deal with. Help me to be like your Son, and even when I feel like retaliating or taking revenge, help to soften my heart, even towards the person who hates me. Help me to know that when I feel this way, your Son understands me and sends the Spirit to be console me and to increase my love. Never let my heart be closed down, by others or by myself. Give me an open heart, like your Son's.
Have an open heart, my precious girl. Try not to be angry and love as Jesus loved. He loves you... and so do we!
No comments:
Post a Comment