I was talking to a friend the other day who was a bit frazzled. She was going on and on about her husband and 2 kids and her job and about how busy everyone was with school and sports and activities. I laughed and said "Well, that sounds 'normal' to me!" she gave me a horrifed look and began to apologize. "Oh my..." she said. "I am so sorry! You're right... it is normal. And I don't mean to complain to you."
It didn't occur to me until later on in the day where she was going with her statement. She was implying that, with her employed, able-bodied husband and two bright, able-bodied and very busy kids, she had a "normal life" compared to me... blind husband, and 2 kids, one hearing impaired, the other visually impaired. But the truth is, our life is normal too. It's just a different kind of normal. Our normal may not include an over-packed schedule of soccer games, t-ball and swim meets, and it does include checking hearing aids and making sure everyone has his white canes, but to us, that's just "normal".
No comments:
Post a Comment