Good cane travel ability is so important for the blind. Mike was a former cane user, and he was very good and very comfortable with it. Now he has Otis, his
Seeing Eye dog, but that doesn't mean his cane is obsolete. There are still rare occasions when it's not practical to bring Otis, so out comes the cane.
Pope is learning. At 3 years old, cane techniques are tough to learn. We're simply trying to get Pope to carry his cane. Sometimes he does it willingly, sometimes he protests, sometimes it's an all-out battle. But it's important, so we are persistent. Yesterday we were out and about and Pope had his cane.
Faye, I didn't realize that you had this blog, too! Just popped over here. We already have our sweetie's cane - trying to decide if I should bring it with me to China or wait till we get home. I am nearly done with my Grade 2 course of braille and just started learning the abacus. I am having a blast and can't wait to have my sweetie home to learn with her! We plan on using braille and abacus for all 3 girls, even though 2 of them are not VI - it can be like a secret code for them!
ReplyDelete