I was literally blown away yesterday when a friend of mine asked me when we were going to start the paper chase again.... "Paper chase? For what?" I replied as if I didn't know what was coming next... "For your next adoption!" Stop.Right.There.
Let's review what a typical day looks like in our crazy life. Okay, we look like your average family of four, but believe me, it's much more complicated than that. First, we get up. Mike and I usually up before the Princess and the Pope. This is by design. I need 2 1/2 minutes to take a shower. After I'm bathed and dressed, I rescue the Pope from his crib. He's usually awake, which is good. When I have to wake him, he's a royal grouch! Getting Pope ready in the morning is not trivial. Until this past week, I would have to search for his prosthetic eye, which he normally removes himself during the night. This week I finally broke through and taught him to take it out and give it to me before he goes to bed! This one little detail has made life much easier! Then I get his glasses and we head downstairs for potty. Once he's finished, I help him get dressed and we head into the kitchen for breakfast and medications. Pope takes oral supplements, eye drops and other meds. Once Pope is happily munching his breakfast, and at this point, I am thankful he can feed himself, I get his backpack ready for school and put some frozen waffles in the toaster for the Princess. After letting the dogs out, Mike goes upstairs to raise the princess. We're now about 30 minutes into our crazy morning. I haven't eaten. It's unusual that I get breakfast on a weekday. Inevitably, the Princess has forgotten to do some part of her homework assignment, so we now must scramble to get this done. Oh, and we're missing part of her school uniform. The search is on. Mike, my blind husband, and the princess are left searching for the uniform piece as I must now get in the car to go to work. Quick kisses all around then I am off for the next 9-10 hours. Mike makes sure the Princess has her school bag just as the horn honks. Her ride to school has arrived and she heads out the door. Then Mike puts Pope in his coat, grabs his can and backpack and together they head out the door to wait for the school bus.
Once I arrive home the chaos starts all over. Mike is leaving for a piano gig. The princess is scribbling down homework. She's got to get it done before dance class. She and the Pope are starving so I fix them a snack as Mike puts his guide dog in harness and heads out the door. Again, quick kisses all around. I fix a quick supper before loading the kids into the car to take the Princess to dance. Her classes are longer now that she is dancing at a higher level. I drop her off and the Pope and I head back home. I check the mail, email, the answering machine. 3 messages. One from the church asking if I can make a basket for their next basket bingo. "Sure!" I think, "I'll whip that up in my free time!" the other a reminder of Pope's EUA (Exam under anesthesia) appointment next week. The third from Pope's vision teacher just wanting to "catch up". All of these calls came in the 20 minutes I was gone dropping the Princess off at dance.
Time to make lunches for the next day before picking up the Princess. It's getting late, so I put Pope in the tub for a quick bath, potty and then put him in his jammies before putting on his coat and putting him in the car. We pick up the Princess. Once we get home, I put Pope in bed. I go over homework with the Princess. There is enough time for 15 minutes of TV. The Princess is delighted! She watches, then it's off to brush her teeth, hair, jammies and bed. I head to the computer to check email again. Reply to the things that needs immediate reply. The rest will have to wait. It's late when my head hits the pillow. Too late even for my 15 minutes of TV for tomorrow it all begins again!
I can't see adding a third child into this mix. But, if you want to hear God laugh... tell Him your plans!
No comments:
Post a Comment