About this time 3 years ago, we were waiting to hear from the CCAA (Chinese Center for Adoption Affairs) about our son. We knew it was his birthday and we were anticipating his homecoming (which would take place a few months later). We didn't know what was ahead of us, but we celebrated his birthday by sending clothing and few small toys in box to his orphanage. At home, we purchased a small white cake with blue wintery decorations that simply said "Happy Birthday Jon Paul". I bought a balloon in the shape of a dump truck, something I thought he would like had he already been home with us.
The following year, he turned 4, but we were still in the midst of turmoil. Jon Paul was still so ill and integrating him into family life and school. We bought a small cake and celebrated quietly, as a family.
Last year things were better and I had every intention of a celebration. This time I dropped the ball. We picked the perfect spot for a small party with friends only to find out the place was booked... every weekend in December... and January.... AND most of February... By the time party plans were even penciled in, it was almost Spring. *sigh*... It was a total Mommy FAIL!
This year, I have been more on the "ball" (no pun intended) and we are having a bowling birthday party... JP's first party, ever. I booked the party early and we had a good response to the invitations. The party is this weekend. He's excited and we're all pretty excited about that!

Happy belated birthday, JP! Faye, I've misplaced your email - could you drop me a line, please? Thanks! Donna dlmcnew@wwestsky.net
ReplyDelete