The Princess and the Pope

And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
~Matthew 19:26

Friday, March 23, 2012

A trailblazer?...maybe...

Today, the Princess and the Pope had the entire day off from school. It was an "in-service day" and while the Princess had plenty of activities to keep her occupied, the story is much different for the Pope. Fortunately, we found the Birchtree Academy...a daycare and preschool. I won't tell you that our initiation at Birchtree was perfect. Last summer, when we found the place, everything seemed fine. We went for a couple of visits... the staff was great. The place was great. A very "home like" atmosphere... loving staff... a safe environment. Although the daycare was full of neuro-typical kids, everyone seemed comfortable... they embraced the Pope... but for some reason, the Friday before the Pope was scheduled to have his first day at Birchtree, we received a phone call. It was the owner. The news was not good. "We feel the Pope may be too high of a liability... his visual impairment, plus his developmental delay...well, you know..." I didn't need to hear any more of the message. Mike was on the phone with the owner within hours. He asked all the right legal questions. Whether he scared them, enlightened them, or just convinced them to give the Pope a try is none of my concern... the Pope started Birchtree Academy that following Monday and he's loved it ever since!

Today, due to the in-service day, we planned for a day at Birchtree for the Pope. He loves it there, and he's a different kid when he spends the day there! They love him and I think he really loves and appreciates them back! So today, when I picked up the Pope he was on the playground, he was playing with another lad. I noticed a small girl sitting, playing in the mulch. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She was adorable, but somehow, "different". Her quirks in the mulch, her mannerisms, her protruding tongue told me immediately, she also had special needs. I smiled... and for a moment I felt like a trailblazer. Pope gave this school and the staff the confidence to handle kids with special needs and he opened the door for others... Thanks Birchtree, for seeing the light!

1 comment: