The Princess and the Pope

And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
~Matthew 19:26

Friday, August 31, 2012

Friday Favorites

It's been a busy week! The kids are starting school and getting ready for new activities. The Princess is dancing and Cheering for Garnet Youth Football, as she has done in the past. The Pope will continue his swim program. We have also decided to add Challenger Soccer this fall. It seemed simple enough. One day a week, kids with special needs get together to play soccer... for fun. It's in a list of Challenger sports which include baseball... something we will try this Spring. But this fall, it's all about Challenger Soccer. The biggest challenge with soccer was finding the required "equipment". The Pope is a tiny guy, so we needed to find size "extra-extra small"... Yes, in the world of soccer, this size exists, just not every sporting good store carries it. Fortuantely, after some negotiations, I was able to find shin guards, socks and shorts, appropriate for a budding athlete. We were also talked into the pee-wee, size 3, soccer ball. Apparently there are 3 different sizes depending on the level of play. Who knew? 


Soccer? I got this...

Has anyone seen the ball? (I had to help him find it... I figured the bright yellow would be enough contrast... hmmm... maybe I should have gone with hot pink?


He shoots, he scores!
So my Friday favorite is Challenger Sports. I'm really kind of new to the whole concept. I thought there was only Challenger Little League Baseball until we were informed about the Challenger soccer program at our local club. I suspect there might be more programs out there. If you do have a child with special needs and don't have a Challenger soccer program near you, check out Special Olympics. They have a wonderful soccer program as well! So get out there... play... and most of all, have FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment