The Princess and the Pope

And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
~Matthew 19:26

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Kids

There is a 2 year age difference between my biological niece, Mackenzie, and my adopted son Jon Paul (aka "Pope")... They will turn 3 and 5 this coming December, respectively. And It's difficult... It's difficult for me, as the Pope's mom, to sit back and watch, as the younger Mack, will lap him. In some ways, she already has... In language, for example, Mack is already far superior. It is, perhaps, unfair to compair them. Mackenzie was a wanted child. A survivor of a traumatic birth and, perhaps slightly delayed as she was a late walker, Mack was afforded every opportunity including a helmet to correct plagiocephaly and lots of phyical therapy very early on for being deemed a "late walker" (just barely... I think she took her first steps around 18 months) I don't know when the Pope started walking... I know some of his peers are still struggling to walk while he runs, so I am grateful for that! But Mack is a smart girl... 2 year his junior... and I know I'm going to watch her go to "typical preschool" and "typical kindergarten" and "typical school"... someday, maybe she'll play soccer in local league... and the Pope will play Challenger soccer... and my brother and and I will exchange stories... but it won't be the same... it won't "feel" the same...




For the record, she doesn't really have pink hair! LOL!


1 comment:

  1. I can relate so much to this post... As I watch typical kids run laps around my boy who can barely sit unassisted... It is difficult. However, he is marvelous, and so intelligent. And filled to the brim with love from his dad and I. :)

    ReplyDelete